Think back to the last car ad that impressed you. Or a video of the phone shown in full detail, close-up, or pieced together. Would you like to buy it right away? Or maybe you wanted to see the ad again to take a closer look? Yes, it’s really exciting. But what is the secret of such successful customer acquisition? The answer is product renderings. It is an amazing marketing tool that digitally enables manufacturers, marketers, and designers to reach their target audience and stay one step ahead of the competition. This is a unique opportunity to present your product from different angles, in color variations, in any number and type of environment, in close-up and sections, in isolation or a group of objects, and much more. Here, we will analyze what product rendering is, what types of product render exist, what are the advantages of using it, and in which industries it is most popular.
What is product rendering?
If earlier, to sell a particular product well, it was necessary to wait for its manufacture or prototype, take several successful photographs and invest a large sum of money in refinement and all this for a long time, now the process has become much easier and faster with the product 3D rendering.
3D product rendering is the process of creating a three-dimensional realistic model of a product using specialized programs. Such 3D models and images can later be used for various purposes, posted on a website, in a catalog, applied in promotional videos, and much more. 3D models are created from drawings, sketches, photographs, specifications, or other data.
As already mentioned, such products can be visualized and presented in different colors and materials, and design elements can be changed in a few minutes. Moreover, the object can be shown from any angle, in isolation or in combination with other objects, it can be interactive, and rotate 360 degrees. You can reduce or enlarge it to the required size to appreciate all the details and features of the product. All this gives every designer, developer, or marketer a huge advantage by translating an idea into a virtual model and allowing them to understand its functionality. With product renders, you will be able to show objects of even the most complex design even before they are put into production or go to the market. This is a great way to increase sales, make your content unique, or offer something new to your customers.
Remember the day when you chose or bought something in an online store. What caught your attention or what page did you stay on the longest? Buyers often give preference and choose those products that can be viewed and evaluated from all sides. A 3D model looks much more profitable and allows buyers to get more visual information about the product than ordinary photos. In addition, product renderings make it easier for the viewer to see the object up close and understand how it works.
Even well-known small and medium-sized businesses such as eBay, IKEA, and Amazon use 3D visualizations to sell goods. For example, IKEA has created 3D product images for catalogs, websites, and other promotional materials.
How are product renders made?
1. Collecting detailed information about the project: product specifications, angles, drawings, layouts, and so on. The more information and the more detailed it is, the easier it is for a 3D artist to achieve the desired result.
2. Sketching: drawing the product from every angle.
3. Creation of a polygonal model. This model contains all the necessary information about the product.
4. Texturing: image detailing by applying CG textures to a 3D product model.
5. Setting up lighting, virtual cameras, determining angles, backgrounds, and shadows.
6. Rendering the scene, setting the image parameters, and saving all the necessary image layers for further processing. Creation of a realistic image. Converting 3D models and scenes into 2D images
7. Post-processing (if necessary): applying graphic special effects, color correction, detail enhancement, and so on.
All this is done with specialized Product rendering software.
Product rendering advantages
3D rendering products are becoming more and more popular in the field of online sales. It is widely used in online stores of clothing, electronics, cars, jewelry, and household appliances. Besides, it is often used in advertising. 3D product rendering has many advantages:
- The ability to create photorealistic visualizations of a future product (for example, a furniture collection) and use them on your website or for advertising. This way you can research the market and find out which products will be more popular. This will significantly save on production. It will cost a few dollars to make samples of different colors, and you will not spend anything on production and selection of materials.
- Easily evaluate every detail of a project without having to create a physical prototype. With the help of 3D visualization, you can get a virtual pre-production prototype that demonstrates everything you need and that can be easily and quickly modified. Product render is an economical option, especially when you consider how many resources it takes to build a traditional prototype.
- Product-to-market fit can be assessed via 3D visualization. Product concept renderings provide an opportunity to learn all about the features of the prospective project and its potential success in the market. Marketers can poll consumers’ ideas on how to increase demand using static pictures and animations. This amazing technology spares both the manufacturer and the customer from frustration, as well as saves a lot of time and money. 3D graphics help to develop a design and learn what to produce, how much, and how to improve it.
- 3D product renders accurately reflect the shape and size of your models, making production easier by simply reproducing the image.
- Product design rendering eliminates errors before production. A digital prototype made by 3D artists enables you to swiftly and affordably make changes to the final product while still in the design phase. Thus, the brand can immediately launch the best version of the product.
- The ability to allow customers to explore all the features of the product on their site, increase it, decrease, change color, and so on.
- 3D modeling expands the possibilities of marketing campaigns. With the advent of 3D product renderings, manufacturers can simply send an item photo to a smartphone and receive 3D models for every design option. There is no need to wait for the final prototype, decor, and photo shoots – everything is done digitally. In addition, the marketer can reuse the same digital models for each advertising campaign. The 3D artist will place these models in a new external or internal virtual scene with new decor and background.
- Ability to test the product pre-selling. The marketer gets product 3D renders of every possible option, publishes the images on a website, blog, or platform, and allows customers to pre-order. No photos or prototypes are required.
- More and more interior designers are using 3D visualization services, often working from finished models. After viewing the final visuals, clients want the same result. This means that they will contact the manufacturers whose models of furniture or other items were used for the design.
- The ability to place an object in the environment or show it on a white background. You will not need to rent a studio, hire a photographer and pay thousands of dollars for just a couple of photos for one purpose or another. You can show the product in a section and its entirety, on a white background or in an artistic setting, or even create an assembly animation.
Rendering product design provides a lot of opportunities. With the help of 3D software, designers and manufacturers can easily try different designs without producing a prototype for every new idea. They can do changes according to the design elements of the object, its colors, and materials. The creating process is unexpectedly fast and flexible, so a designer or manufacturer is free to generate ideas. They also can try out many various concepts, without the extra cost, bringing the design to perfection.
Where is product 3D rendering used?
80% of commercials and promotional products are created using 3D graphics. The use of 3D rendering product images in advertising does not just make it bright and attractive. It is also possible to realize fantastic, incredible, and unreal actions, events and plots. Such product renders are easy to find on Internet platforms, magazines, newspapers, and city billboards. One has only to walk through Times Square to see the fruits of digital graphics.
By using product 3D renders, marketers can get stunning creative marketing images and videos that can be posted on social media to draw attention to a new product launch. You can create 3D objects of any type, type, or color, and find out which option will appeal to customers the most. 3D rendering of products is the best way to increase sales and attract new customers.
Designers use 3D rendered product images to present their design ideas. They can show different design concepts for the same project to choose the best one.
Production and development
3D rendering is an integral part of product manufacturing. It is used to create digital prototypes that display the physical product, and all of its mechanical and aesthetic characteristics. With the help of the product render, you can quickly see several model configurations, including as many color combinations as you can think of. Such prototypes are easy to update, adding new features or making other necessary changes to the project.
3D rendering is a great tool to create unforgettable and impressive presentations. Such photorealistic presentations may help to showcase the future product to the customer or investor even before the end of the design. It is more effective than sketches and drawings. From new Coca-Cola packaging to technical know-how, success is guaranteed in any case.
Types of 3D product renders
1. Product 3D models
Photorealistic 3D models of a product are created from scratch or based on a CAD model using specialized 3D modeling software. There are several types of 3D models, the main ones are Low-poly and High-poly models.
- Low-poly modeling implies creating three-dimensional models of objects, which correspond to reality. They are most often used in AR applications, games, and 3D configurators.
- High-poly modeling is the process of creating more complex and highly detailed 3D models. They are used to create 3D animated products and CG images. They can also rotate 360 degrees.
2. Still product 3D renders
They are static representations of 3D models of a product. Such 3D models are completely still and can only be moved by the camera through which the viewers are looking at a particular project. Such images are best suited for print and digital marketing and commercial materials. There are two main types of still images: render on a white background and Lifestyle 3D Renders.
- The former (silo images) show the product on a white background and without other elements in the scene. They help focus the customer’s attention on the item without the distraction of external factors.
- Lifestyle 3D Renders work in the opposite way. They show the product in a specific setting, most often in the interior of a room or among other objects. This is done to show the product’s functionality, and how it will blend in with its surroundings.
3. Interactive product 3D rendering
Innovative solution aimed at attracting more customers. Interactive rendering allows you to interact with the product, causing a desire to purchase and interest in the brand. The most popular types of interactive product rendering are:
- 3D animation. You can create an exciting video clip to show all the benefits of the product. This is a wide field of activity, allowing one to realize any idea. For example, you can show the process of assembling an item – now it is becoming more and more popular.
- 360 product spin. This solution allows the buyer to view the object from all sides right on the site, zooming in and out, and rotating it in all directions.
- AR Product. No extra words are needed to understand all the benefits of this service. Using a smartphone, anyone can download a realistic 3D model of a product, such as a furniture, and test it in their interior to choose the best option before making a purchase.
We offer our customers to receive each of these solutions. Find out more about our 3D product rendering services.
So, why do you need product rendering for your business?
- Demonstrativeness: the ability to fully demonstrate the product. Especially relevant and in demand for new ones.
- Informativeness and objectivity: photos of goods are most often processed in graphic editors, and a 3D model allows you to objectively evaluate the goods, which thereby reduces the risk of returning goods.
- Motivation: 3D rendering and animation has a better effect on emotional centers and stimulates the client to make a purchase.
- Memorability: visitors better remember sites using 3D models and later return to such a site.
Product rendering is indispensable for manufacturers as it solves the main problems that arise during the development and launch of a product. This eliminates the guesswork, creates great promotional material, and provides a good return on investment. Manufacturers and designers using the rendered products have no fear that something might go wrong, and that all efforts will be wasted. Because they can predict the outcome with certainty – and focus on how to get the best result.
3D visualization is convenient at every stage of the project, which makes it easier for all parties involved. Product design render can be used for many purposes, but mostly as marketing and advertising campaigns. Customers also benefit from product 3D rendering: they get exactly what they need. Above all, product rendering is a cheaper alternative to photography.
In this article, we have found answers to the main questions about what a product rendering is, how it works, why it is so popular, and whether it is worth using.
Looking for professional 3D product rendering services? Do not wait, let us know about your idea!
Very interesting info!Perfect just what I was searching for!
Thanks a lot! Glad you found what you’re searching for. Read other articles and share your thoughts!